- Breathing Toronto.

Thursday, July 12, 2012

Making Takoyaki with a cakepop machine

I'm pretty sure a lot of people were wondering if its possible because before I bought the cake pop machine I was researching this myself. So here I am to tell you it can be done!

I've been wanting a takoyaki machine for a few years now but they are mad expensive! Usually an electrical one would be $50+ and pans would cost $30+ and that doesn't include shipping. Even though I'm MADLY in love with takoyaki, I still cannot justify the cost.

So a cheaper alternative was to buy a cake pop machine, anywhere between $20-$50. I got mine from amazon for $20 including shipping (that's with the help of some US friends).

The brand is Nostagia Cake Pop Machine. Personally I think this machine is horrible. The outside is made out of plastic so it gets pretty hot. I burnt myself on this machine a few times. I wouldn't recommend anyone to get this exact one and DEFINITELY not child friendly despite the attracting bright colors.

Anyways, my Takoyaki recipe! I got this off the web but I altered it a bit for convinent and easy way to make Takoyaki! (It's actually a lot of work and time consuming)



- Takoyaki Batter - (to make 2 patches of 7 = 14 Balls)
1 Cup of All-Purpose Flour
1.5 Cup Icy Water
1 Egg
1/2 tsp Bonito Dashi
1/2 tsp Dried Bonito Flakes
1 tsp Soy Sauce
A Pinch of Salt

- Filling -
Boiled Octopus
Pickled Ginger
Green Onion (optional)

- Garnish -
Dried Bonito Flakes
Japanese Mayonnaise
Bulldog Sauce


So you're probably wondering what Bonito Dashi was. It's like fish stock, somtimes made from bonito flakes. I guess you can only need the bonito flakes but I was worried it won't be flavorful so I bought a instant mix (on the right), it looks like little dots of MSG.

For the octopus, I just use frozen mini ones you find at Asian supermarkets. They are not cheap. It's aruond $7-8 a pack but it's enough to use it for 4 times. The amount you see there is from 2 small octopus.

Usually the pickled ginger used in takoyaki are the enlongated ones like this.
But I cheap out and bought the ones you get from sushi restaurants. I would recommend to spent a bit more to get the proper ones. It does make quite a difference.

DIRECTIONS
( 1 ) Make the batter. Mix everything in a bowl.
The icy water would make it so the batter mixes well with no clumps. If it does, then it means your water wasn't cold enough!

( 2 ) Pour batter into Cakepop Machine. First Fill it 1/3 of the way.

( 3 ) Put the fillings in! (Octopus, Ginger & Green onion) Then pour more batter in to cover the fillings.

( 4 ) Wait until the bottom side of the takoyaki is cooked and turn it around. It's good to eat when both side is hard.

( 5 ) Garnish.
I do not have the Bulldog sauce but its alright. It taste pretty decent. Similar to restaurants but not quite. There is still a bit of difference in texture but the taste is there. (And please do not skimp on the octopus, that's where the flavor is)

You can see the middle is still gooey. That's what you want. DO NOT OVERCOOK IT. Better to undercook.

(Note this method does not make a perfect circular takoyaki nor ones that brown well). The problem with the cakepop machine is it heats in sessions. So if you were to pour more batter to make a full circle it would take a long time to cook and would usually overcook. To make one batch of takoyaki here already took 30 minutes. It's definitely very time consuming.

I would probably get a real takoyaki machine someday. I make takoyaki with the cake-pop machine more than cake-pops but this will satisfy my takoyaki cravings for now.


ALSO! Try to be creative with the fillings!! I would sometimes put some rice in there, or some pork belly. YUMMERS!

9 comments:

  1. ^ yeah.. what they said. Where's mine?

    ReplyDelete
  2. omg thanks for this post ! i searched my butt of for a takoyaki machine.. but 1. its very expensive.. 2. the voltage was a problem since i live in the netherlands! this post helped a lot!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank u for ur reply! Great to know people are reading! lol
      Let me know how it goes!!

      Delete
  3. I recently bought a cake pop machine but I let the batter overflow and push it into the holes to make the balls. Then I just cover with the lid and they come out beautiful round, goldenbrown and fluffy. I also live in the Netherlands

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm in the US and I've wanted a takoyaki maker for years! The cost to get one and ship it here was too much. So, when I first saw cake pop makers, the first thing I thought of was "some ingenious Japanese person has figured out a way to sell takoyaki makers to westerners! However, I was told by several people that the cake pop makers don't get as hot as they need to be for my fav octopus dish. I'M SO HAPPY YOU PROVED THEM WRONG!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes we have to think out of the box and work with what we got :)

      I agree that the machine might not get as hot as actual takoyaki makers but with some patience it works out great!

      Delete
  5. I also wonder if the heating element on these are hot enough; I've made takoyaki in my nordicware aebskiver pan and it had to be blazing hot in order for the outside to brown because the takoyaki batter is so runny. the new flip version of the cakepop machine may be better but not if the heating element was not upgraded.

    ReplyDelete