- Breathing Toronto.

Monday, August 6, 2012

2012 Summerlicious @ Canoe

So this year we planned to attend two summerlicious restaurants. As mentioned Canoe (66 Wellington St W) was one of them and another one that I will blog about later!

This is a long overdue post that I didn't manage to post until now but we went to Canoe on a Saturday for lunch. I picked the lunch menu because the price seems more reasonable and also the fact that dinner was sold out by the first day of booking. Personally I didn't find the menu very attractive but this is one of those restaurants that you must try at least once.

Check out the menu, or you can still find it on the summerlicious page here.

$25 Lunch plus taxes and gratuity

Romaine & Endive Salad
Thunder Oak Gouda, Toasted Seeds & Roasted Tomato Vinaigrette
or
Chilled Summer Sweet Pea Soup
Minted Hewitt’s Buttermilk & Dungeness Crab
or
Gooseberry Cove Cod Mousse
Double Smoked Bacon, Watercress & Crisp Baguette



Tree Syrup Glazed Beef Short Rib
Creamy Alliston Spuds, Green Beans & Crispy Onions
or
Citrus Infused Chicken Breast
Mustard Greens, Pappardelle & Rosemary Mustard Cream Sauce
or
Roasted Heritage Salmon
Brooks Farms Asparagus, New Potato Salad & Nam Phrik Cucumber



Strawberry Panna Cotta
Lychee Ginger Consommé & Basil
or
B.C. Cherry Clafoutis
Toasted Almond Cream & Whipped Crème Fraîche
or
Vineland Peach Trifle
Earl Grey Syrup & Stone Fruit Coulis




Canoe is located on the 54th floor in the TD tower. The entrance is quite weird. There is a open door right after you exit the elevator but that wasn't it. You have to go through a short hallway to the front desk.
When we first went into the restaurant we were super amazed at the view.

This picture does not do it justice but as you can see its over viewing the lake. Almost as nice as the view at CN tower!

Modern 5-star restaurant interior. We were the first shift of people to arrive so the place looked quite empty but it was packed when we left.

Gooseberry Cove Cod Mousse
The mousse tasted like foie gras and I liked how they paired it with bacon. The only complaint was they didn't give us enough bread to eat with it!

Chilled Summer Sweet Pea Soup
The soup tasted like... sweet pea obviously with a hint of mint flavor to it and the sweetness from the crab meat. They actually put quite a bit of meat in it, so definitely worth the money but I personally didn't like it. It tasted a bit weird. It wasn't bad but something about it just wasn't right. It's probably the fact that it was served cold and us Chinese usually drink our soups hot.

Roasted Heritage Salmon
I'm happy that they left the skin on and it was CRISPY! However it was actually over-crisp to the point that it was a bit hard. The edges of the fish was overcooked while the middle was just right. Being at a 5 star restaurant I expected more but this dish was way too simple. I would liked if there was a sauce that went with the salmon because the only flavor there was was salt.
The only thing I liked about this was the size. Good size for the money.

Tree Syrup Glazed Beef Short Rib
The beef ribs were definitely a better choice. The meat was fall off the bone tender and juicy. However this was just a bit too sweet for my liking. This dish was actually more sweet than salty and not much of any other flavor to it. If you want good beef short ribs I suggest you to try the ones at Nota Bene.

Vineland Peach Trifle
I was a bit surprised when I got this. For a minute I thought they served us the wrong thing. It's very different than traditional trifles, I was expecting whipped cream and fruits.
I would say this tasted more like pudding than trifle. The outside was similar to a custard pudding and a thick syrup on the inside. At first I liked it because it tasted like custard but after a few bites it was WAY too sweet. Mostly because of the syrup on the inside.

B.C. Cherry Clafoutis
This was actually the highlight of the meal. Sheng ordered this but I end up eating most of it. This was my first time trying clafoutis, it has a consistency between a cake and a flan. There was a strong sweet cherry flavor to it but it wasn't overly sweet unlike the trifle. The only thing I have to complain about was the size. I WANT MORE!


So remember that I said they have the best service? Well at least they should... The waitress we got was actually pretty nice BUT she was super talkative. She was one of those people that just kept talking and talking... and there was no breaks for us to comment. It wasn't that bad to the point that it destroyed our experience but I wouldn't say it was A+ service. She was still there whenever we needed despite how busy the restaurant was. However she did fail to introduce us to the food.


Despite all the my negative comments I still consider this meal being worth it. This was one of those restaurants that you at least have to try once if you lived in Toronto. So for $25 you get a gorgeous view, fabulous decor and a decent meal. However if I was to pay full-price, I wouldn't recommend it or else you're trying to impress your date.


Overall I give this place a 7/10. The food was simple but wasn't great.

Canoe Restaurant & Bar on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment