- Breathing Toronto.

Monday, August 20, 2012

Black Camel @ Rosedale

One of our friends brought us to this restaurant/take out place right beside Rosedale Subway station called the Black Camel (4 Crescent Road). I went pass this place a few times before but I always thought it was a cafe. It might be a bit difficult to notice since the front does not have an actual store name but look for the black camel!


This place is dedicated in serving up delicious braised meat sandwiches! Their most famous item is probably the 5-day long brisket and pulled pork. If you're not in the mood for sandwiches, this is probably not the place. Their menu is quite small.

The choices of sandwiches are Slow Roasted Beef Brisket, Pulled Pork Shoulder, Seared Steak, Roasted Pulled Chicken and Tomato, Pepper, Argula & Eggplant (vegetarian). All includes 2 sauce/condiments.

The sandwich is customization with sauce and toppings. However toppings are extra $0.90 each. You can choose from Caramelized Onions, Sauteed Cremini Mushrooms, Chili Roasted Red Onions, Slow Roasted Roma Tomatoes, Roasted Sweet Red Peppers, Roasted Eggplant, Argula and Fontina Cheese.


The inside seats are mostly wall-seatings and as you can see they also have outside tables. Not sure how this would work in the winter but this place is mostly for take-out/catering.



Pulled BBQ Pork Shoulder ($7) + Caramelized Onions ($0.90)

I'm actually not a big fan of Pulled Pork Sandwiches because I've never ate one that was super juicy and tender. I find that because it's pulled, most of the time it gets dry very quickly. However this place did alright compared to other places I've tried. I wouldn't say I LOVED the sandwich but the pork was not dry but it wasn't juicy to the point that juices would come out. The thing I did like was the sauce, it wasn't overly sweet like traditional BBQ sauces.


Overall this place was mediocore. Our friend said that their sandwiches can sell out before closing. So it is recommended that you call beforehand. I personally don't see the hype here. It was good but it wasn't AMAZING.

In the end I would give this place a 7/10. The food didn't taste like anything special. I would probably not train back here for this. I also dislike how the toppings are extra $0.90. I would have preferred that they include at least one free topping. Can you just imagine eating a sandwich without toppings? At least that's not my style hahaha...

Personally I rather eat at Mr. Jerk than here.

Black Camel on Urbanspoon

1 comment:

  1. I've also not had a Pulled Pork sandwich that blows my mind either.
    Black Camel's Beef Brisket is ridiculously tender, and it's great with their wasabi/horseradish, if your sinuses can handle it.

    ReplyDelete