- Breathing Toronto.

Friday, August 24, 2012

Hi-tea @ Windsor Arms Hotel

This is actually my second time at Windsor Arms Hotel for high tea. I quite enjoyed it the last time I was here. The atmosphere was nice and relaxing, the waiters were attentive and the food was excellent! I wanted to visit again and it was fortunate that Teambuy had a 50% deal. So instead of the usual $42/person I believe we paid $50 for 2. However the downfall of this deal was it cannot be used on weekends/holidays. The package includes:



AFTERNOON TEA

A Choice of our Loose-Leaf Teas
~~
Fresh Scones with Preserves
and Devon Cream
~~
A Presentation of Fresh Sandwiches:

Smoked Salmon and Wasabi Sour Cream
with Salmon Caviar

&
Cucumber with Sundried Tomato Paste
and Dill Cream Cheese
&
Grilled Chicken, Granny Smith Apples
Citrus Mayonnaise, Greek Yogurt & Chives


~~ Goat Cheese
and Caramelized Shallot Tart
~~
Berries and Whipped Cream
~~
Petits Fours

Monday to Friday $35.00 /person
Saturday & Sunday $42.00/person
*Holiday Times $50.00/person
*(Holiday Pricing also in effect during the month of December)


**There are other tea packages avaliable which you can find here. **




There's 2 rooms and we've sat in both. I personally prefer the gold one because its more spacious and less crowded. This time we sat in the pretty purple tea room it was a bit more noisy.

Another con with being in the purple room is the lack of table space. In the gold room you would get a 4 person table but that's dependent on how busy the place is.




They have an extensive list of teas ranging from black, red, green or fruity ones. This is only a part of it.




Our teas. I don't exactly remember which one we ordered but the left pink one was sweet while the right one was a oolong tea. Can you get which one is mine and which one is Sheng's?

No the pink one isn't mine. I'm a frequent tea drinker and I like my tea strong and bitter. I find sweet teas kind of weird because I grew up drinking Chinese tea and most of them are bitter.

The best thing on the 3-tiers are the scones. They are to die for! It's so soft and fluffy that it feels like you're biting into cream. I sometimes still crave for these scones (like right now when I'm talking about it). It was so good that we filled up on scones and was struggling to finish the rest.

Out of the 3 types of sandwiches I enjoyed the smoked salmon with caviar. Put the whole thing in your mouth you feel the caviar popping mix in with the smokiness of the salmon and a touch of sourness from the cream. It's a perfect combination. The other two was not executed so well. The chicken just taste like chicken and the cucumber with sun-dried tomato just tasted bland.

The Petits desserts were not so appetizing. It was way too sweet. We took a bite of each and left it.

Simple strawberries with whipped cream
I prefer eating this as a dessert than the Petits Four. It's simple yet satisfying. It's a good way to finish a meal.



Overall I rate this place 8/10. Marks off because it's quite expensive, and out table was a bit crammed. Aside from that I quite enjoyed the two times I've been here. The waiters were very friendly which creates a relaxing atmosphere. The scones were just EXCEPTIONAL and the portions are definitely enough fill you up.

PS. If you're wondering what to dress, the dress code is just casual. Whatever makes you comfortable and relax!

Windsor Arms Tea Room on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment