- Breathing Toronto.

Friday, August 17, 2012

2012 summerlicious @ BeniHana

I've been so lazy lately that I haven't been posting for awhile. I have a stack of pictures waiting to be uploaded. So here's my long delay review of the other summerlicious restaurant I went to.


I was recommended to this place by a friend. BeniHana a japanese teppanyaki restaurant located at the Fairmount Royal York (100 Front St W). Looking at the menu it was definitely not the type of restaurant I would go to. The menu was brief with no description, the food seems typical and boring but I thought I would give it a try since we would be getting a show along with the dinner.

$45 Dinner
plus taxes and gratuity

California Roll
Crab, Masago Roe, Avocado & Cucumber
or
Benihana Onion Soup
or
Futomaki
Cucumber, Tamago, Shitake Mushroom, Pickled Daikon
(vegetarian)



Teriyaki Chicken
or
Teriyaki Steak
or
Hibachi Steak
or
Vegetarian Saishoku
(vegetarian)



Lemon Mandarin Cheese Cake, Creamy Cherry Compote
(vegetarian)
or
Green Tea Ice Cream
(vegetarian)
or
Orange Sherbet
(vegetarian)



Benihana is located in the basement of Royal York Hotel. We came here on a Wednesday night and it was pretty dead empty. There was probably less than 20 people and with 3 teppanyaki tables on. They usually make you wait until they get a group of people to fill the table. We didn't have to wait long and was only grouped with 2 other person.


Futomaki (left) & California Roll (right)

Are you thinking what I'm thinking? SERIOUSLY? YOU GIVE ME 2 when I'm paying $45 for it?! This is literally the smallest appetizer I've ever had. At that time I was literally thinking, I hope they didn't reduce the quantity because its a discounted menu. I didn't think ANY restaurants would do that for summerlicious and that I've never went to any restaurants that did that. You would think since this was a "high-class" restaurant they won't cheap out on you...

AND this didn't just stop here...


The first and ONLY trick the chef did was the onion volcano. We thought it was going to be a "fire" onion volcano because we've seen a chef do it at a teppanyaki restaurant uptown but he only put water in. We were quite disappointed and hoping for more tricks later on, but that was IT!

Veggie stir-fry
Just plain stir-fry that you can make at home. Nothing special.

Teriyaki Steak & Hibachi Steak

So I told you before that we sat with 2 strangers. I NEED to complain about this. The two guys that sat across from us ordered from the regular menu (not saying that can't or it was a problem). The real problem was, the chef started to make theirs first! AND NOT BECAUSE I'M IMPATIENT AND CAN'T WAIT but they ordered seafood, steak, lobster etc etc. It was nonstop of food. We were SUPER HUNGRY and was watching him make someone else's food... We were salivating like crazy and wait more than 10 minutes until it was our turn.

And when we saw our steak, it was different than the other guys... Different in QUALITY. SERIOUSLY? They cheap out on the summerlicious menu. AND despite ordering 2 different steaks, it was the same steak. They added the same sauce to both and it tasted the same.

I think I can do a better job cooking this steak than he can. It was literally the lowest grade of steak you can buy. Can you imagine this at an expensive restaurant?

Lemon Mandarin Cheese Cake & Green Tea Ice Cream

I saw everyone at the other table left at least half their cheesecake When you see that many unfinished plates it tells you how bad it was. It tasted like store bought cheesecake and even worse, it tasted like its been left in the fridge for days. We took two bites of the cheesecake and we fought for the green tea ice cream. The green tea ice cream was just the ones from the tubes in get at the supermarket. Not complaining since I actually love that ice cream.



Overall this was probably one of the worse restaurants I've been to in Toronto (but worse one is still BerBer). If you want a teppaniyaki restaurant, try the ones uptown. for around $70 per person you get lobster, lamb racks, steak and fish (it was like a 10 course meal). You also get a better show than this one. The chef is actually there for hours cooking your meal unlike this 20 minutes kid show).

I give this place a 4/10. DO NOT COME HERE. DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY. They cheap out on the summerlicious menu. Treat customer depending on how much you order and food was HORRIBLE.

Benihana on Urbanspoon



No comments:

Post a Comment